Chapter V: The Moor
0 Comments »
The Moor is an old, run-down and dilapidated looking tavern standing in an uninhabited part of the city; looking as if it would crumble into bits and pieces anytime. It was made out of brick, stacked together by mud and soil, crows perched high on its roof showing off their horrendous voices which would scare the wits out of any passer-by.
The tavern has stood through ages, in times of war, of famine, and of love and death, it has stood in silence,radiating the promise of a soporific sojourn from the horrors and worries of the outside world. Many are drawn towards the tavern by this promise, hoping that they can be protected and comforted by the warm light radiating from the candle-light hanging alongside the walls of the tavern.

The tavern was packed. White smoke billowing from its square chimney, forming ghastly images with the clear, starry night. Shadows of men chattering away ans clashing their smeared beer mugs can be seen through the translucent windows. The barnyard was packed with goods and chests belonging to the customers; the horses were sleeping, occassionally opening its eyes when a customer leaves or tries to enter the tavern.
A man sits quietly in the corner of the tavern, taking slow sips from his beer mug. Suddenly, the swing doors at the entrance opened, the door chime resonating a comfortable "tink" sound. In stepped a man, looking tired, famished, dirty and was sweating profusely. The stranger caught everybody's attention for none has seen this man in the tavern before. Everybody eyed him suspiciously and intently and begin talking in whispers; their loud booms reduced to meer murmurs and hummed voices. The man made his way to the bar table, asked for some beer and something to eat. The bartender was a grubby, fat man with an eye-patch over one eye. Taking a few more glances, the bartender took out a mug of beer and a plate of cold, cut beef.
Stone picked up the drinks and food and walked over to the table at which the man in the corner occupied; it was the only table with empty seats left. After escaping from the labyrinth, Stone realized that he had not eaten for 3 days, he was exhausted.
"My name is Stone, what's yours?" Stone asked the man as he wolfed down his food and emptied his mug of beer.
"Nobody asks about anybody about anything in this place."
"Are you a spy?"
"What? A spy... of whom?"
"Don't try to deny it, you're a spy of Diantre? Aren't you?" The man took out his dagger and pushed it against Stone's thigh. His other hand still holding onto his beer mug; face unmoved. "Speak the truth!! Why are you here?"
"I'm here to look for Ragen, he knows the information that I need to slay Diantre and avenge my parents." Stone said calmly.
"Ragen? What do you need from him?"
"Information on the sword of LightBringer."
"The sword of LightBringer? We know nothing of it! But you did say you wanted to avenge your parents?"
"Yes I do."
Sensing that he has attracted too much attention, the man said:
"Let's talk in my room. It's not safe down here."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please pardon me for my actions just now. My name is Ragen."
"I just wanted to be careful. I caught a spy a few nights ago."
They were in a small room in the tavern. An old rug paved the stone floor of the room; wood was burning in the fireplace, keeping the room warm and cozy; at times, it gave out crackling sounds as the flames played in the freplace, licking the wood with its orange tongue. The fireplace was faced with fine carvings and has massive metal and iron adornments, which have darkened with age and soot.
"How did you know about me?" Ragen asked.
"Thande told me to look for you. You travel the world often so you must have heard of something about the whereabouts of the sword."
Ragen nodded.
"How much do you know about the LightBringer?" Ragen asked.
"Not much, I only know it was once used to seal Diantre away."
Stone contemplated for a while.
"... the sword was broken into 2... I saw it inscribed onto the stone pillars in the Oscillith Labyrinth."
"The labyrinth...!! You came from that cursed place?"
Stone nodded.
"You must be good to be able to escape from the clutches of that demon that resides within the labyrinth... Few people have come out alive to tell their story."
"I've killed him."
"You've what!!? Ragen said in disbelievement and shock.
"Tell me, Ragen, who exactly is he?"
"His name was Razalith. The local folks here call him The Hell's Caretaker."
Razalith was once the leader of the city of Wonder. He was also one of the faction leaders that took part in the battle of The Deadlands. The battle was grand, and it took the lives of many. During the battle, Razalith was controlled and influenced by Diantre. But, he survived the war. Like many before him, he sought the power of the sword, even though knowing that the sword might consume him. In an effort to save himself, Razalith broke the sword into 2 parts, the blade and the handle, and ditched it into a river. They were lost after that. The sword has however, done its damage. Razalith became inhuman. He was unable to sleep, drink, eat or die, nor was he able to see light. He retreats into the underground tunnels of Oscillith, preying on wandering travellers and occasionally, the servants of Diantre who were responsible for guarding the bridge of Hakdum. Who knows how many years he has been there.
"I've been to his halls once and I've seen those carvings too."
"Do you then, have any information about the current whereabouts of the sword's current whereabouts?" Stone asked.
"Do not fret, my friend. I have half the sword." Ragen said as he took out the lower half of the broken sword from its scabbard.

"The sword has no powers now to seal away Diantre. The sword must be reforged, joined together once more. Only the communion of the two halves will the sword display its powers once more."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Broken Sword
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ragen was born in the distant lands of Draga. The city has always been home to Ragen, until his homes have been conquered. Ragen lost both his parents. Alone, he was forced to fend for himself, roaming the world in search of a place where he can still call home. He was a wanderer, picking up skills as a ranger while trying to evade the pursuits of the dark army. Till he reached the city of Oscillith; The Moor has been his home and safe haven ever since.
In his years of wandering and travelling around the world, Ragen made few friends. yet, his journey was full of adventures and dangers. On one occasion, Ragen stumbled onto an underground catacomb; in it lies an unmarked grave. There were however, inscriptions on the tombstone:
"Therein lies power beyond one's imagination... the sword of LightBringer is now broken..."
Driven by curiousity, Ragen opened the grave only to find the broken legendary sword lying by the side of the white skeleton.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please take this half of the sword. You must find the other half and look for the master forger that lives in my hometown Draga, only he has the ability to reforge the sword of LightBringer."
"But, how can I...?"
"Yes you can! I know my soul has been tainted. If I gain possession of the sword, it would consume me, just like the others."
"How do you know I can wield it?"
"Because I know you can... Your eyes radiate hope and light, unlike the rest of the people that I've seen, filled only with hatred, jealousy and fear. The sword is too much of a burden for me to take." Ragen said.
Stone lapsed in deep thought, fearing that the sword too, might take him. But, his love for his parents soon overcame the fear and doubts.
"Alright, I'll accept the sword." Stone took over the sword, carefully running his fingers over the blade and its handle. Though he cannot see, Stone knew it must be a good sword.
"As for the other half of the sword, I too, have no clue of its whereabouts. If you wish, I can travel with you in search of it."
"That would be most welcome." Stone said.
"Pardon my straight-forwardness, are you blind?" Ragen asked.
Stone smiled and said: "As blind as a bat in the presence of light. But I can move better than a perfectly-visioned person."
Ragen nodded.
"Before we leave, I have to deal with the matters at hand first. I must save The Moor and Oscillith and I require your help."
"I would be most glad to be of help." Stone said.
"We are planning to attack the city gates and kill the leader Pyrean. The people you just saw in the tavern are my people. I can still come up with 500 more."
"How many does Pyrean have?"
"My scouts report a strength of at most 3,000 strong."
"We are out-numbered 1 to 6, Ragen. Are you going to launch an attack face on just like that? It would be suicide."
"Come, I have a better plan."
The tavern has stood through ages, in times of war, of famine, and of love and death, it has stood in silence,radiating the promise of a soporific sojourn from the horrors and worries of the outside world. Many are drawn towards the tavern by this promise, hoping that they can be protected and comforted by the warm light radiating from the candle-light hanging alongside the walls of the tavern.

The tavern was packed. White smoke billowing from its square chimney, forming ghastly images with the clear, starry night. Shadows of men chattering away ans clashing their smeared beer mugs can be seen through the translucent windows. The barnyard was packed with goods and chests belonging to the customers; the horses were sleeping, occassionally opening its eyes when a customer leaves or tries to enter the tavern.
A man sits quietly in the corner of the tavern, taking slow sips from his beer mug. Suddenly, the swing doors at the entrance opened, the door chime resonating a comfortable "tink" sound. In stepped a man, looking tired, famished, dirty and was sweating profusely. The stranger caught everybody's attention for none has seen this man in the tavern before. Everybody eyed him suspiciously and intently and begin talking in whispers; their loud booms reduced to meer murmurs and hummed voices. The man made his way to the bar table, asked for some beer and something to eat. The bartender was a grubby, fat man with an eye-patch over one eye. Taking a few more glances, the bartender took out a mug of beer and a plate of cold, cut beef.
Stone picked up the drinks and food and walked over to the table at which the man in the corner occupied; it was the only table with empty seats left. After escaping from the labyrinth, Stone realized that he had not eaten for 3 days, he was exhausted.
"My name is Stone, what's yours?" Stone asked the man as he wolfed down his food and emptied his mug of beer.
"Nobody asks about anybody about anything in this place."
"Are you a spy?"
"What? A spy... of whom?"
"Don't try to deny it, you're a spy of Diantre? Aren't you?" The man took out his dagger and pushed it against Stone's thigh. His other hand still holding onto his beer mug; face unmoved. "Speak the truth!! Why are you here?"
"I'm here to look for Ragen, he knows the information that I need to slay Diantre and avenge my parents." Stone said calmly.
"Ragen? What do you need from him?"
"Information on the sword of LightBringer."
"The sword of LightBringer? We know nothing of it! But you did say you wanted to avenge your parents?"
"Yes I do."
Sensing that he has attracted too much attention, the man said:
"Let's talk in my room. It's not safe down here."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please pardon me for my actions just now. My name is Ragen."
"I just wanted to be careful. I caught a spy a few nights ago."
They were in a small room in the tavern. An old rug paved the stone floor of the room; wood was burning in the fireplace, keeping the room warm and cozy; at times, it gave out crackling sounds as the flames played in the freplace, licking the wood with its orange tongue. The fireplace was faced with fine carvings and has massive metal and iron adornments, which have darkened with age and soot.
"How did you know about me?" Ragen asked.
"Thande told me to look for you. You travel the world often so you must have heard of something about the whereabouts of the sword."
Ragen nodded.
"How much do you know about the LightBringer?" Ragen asked.
"Not much, I only know it was once used to seal Diantre away."
Stone contemplated for a while.
"... the sword was broken into 2... I saw it inscribed onto the stone pillars in the Oscillith Labyrinth."
"The labyrinth...!! You came from that cursed place?"
Stone nodded.
"You must be good to be able to escape from the clutches of that demon that resides within the labyrinth... Few people have come out alive to tell their story."
"I've killed him."
"You've what!!? Ragen said in disbelievement and shock.
"Tell me, Ragen, who exactly is he?"
"His name was Razalith. The local folks here call him The Hell's Caretaker."
Razalith was once the leader of the city of Wonder. He was also one of the faction leaders that took part in the battle of The Deadlands. The battle was grand, and it took the lives of many. During the battle, Razalith was controlled and influenced by Diantre. But, he survived the war. Like many before him, he sought the power of the sword, even though knowing that the sword might consume him. In an effort to save himself, Razalith broke the sword into 2 parts, the blade and the handle, and ditched it into a river. They were lost after that. The sword has however, done its damage. Razalith became inhuman. He was unable to sleep, drink, eat or die, nor was he able to see light. He retreats into the underground tunnels of Oscillith, preying on wandering travellers and occasionally, the servants of Diantre who were responsible for guarding the bridge of Hakdum. Who knows how many years he has been there.
"I've been to his halls once and I've seen those carvings too."
"Do you then, have any information about the current whereabouts of the sword's current whereabouts?" Stone asked.
"Do not fret, my friend. I have half the sword." Ragen said as he took out the lower half of the broken sword from its scabbard.

"The sword has no powers now to seal away Diantre. The sword must be reforged, joined together once more. Only the communion of the two halves will the sword display its powers once more."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Broken Sword
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ragen was born in the distant lands of Draga. The city has always been home to Ragen, until his homes have been conquered. Ragen lost both his parents. Alone, he was forced to fend for himself, roaming the world in search of a place where he can still call home. He was a wanderer, picking up skills as a ranger while trying to evade the pursuits of the dark army. Till he reached the city of Oscillith; The Moor has been his home and safe haven ever since.
In his years of wandering and travelling around the world, Ragen made few friends. yet, his journey was full of adventures and dangers. On one occasion, Ragen stumbled onto an underground catacomb; in it lies an unmarked grave. There were however, inscriptions on the tombstone:
"Therein lies power beyond one's imagination... the sword of LightBringer is now broken..."
Driven by curiousity, Ragen opened the grave only to find the broken legendary sword lying by the side of the white skeleton.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Please take this half of the sword. You must find the other half and look for the master forger that lives in my hometown Draga, only he has the ability to reforge the sword of LightBringer."
"But, how can I...?"
"Yes you can! I know my soul has been tainted. If I gain possession of the sword, it would consume me, just like the others."
"How do you know I can wield it?"
"Because I know you can... Your eyes radiate hope and light, unlike the rest of the people that I've seen, filled only with hatred, jealousy and fear. The sword is too much of a burden for me to take." Ragen said.
Stone lapsed in deep thought, fearing that the sword too, might take him. But, his love for his parents soon overcame the fear and doubts.
"Alright, I'll accept the sword." Stone took over the sword, carefully running his fingers over the blade and its handle. Though he cannot see, Stone knew it must be a good sword.
"As for the other half of the sword, I too, have no clue of its whereabouts. If you wish, I can travel with you in search of it."
"That would be most welcome." Stone said.
"Pardon my straight-forwardness, are you blind?" Ragen asked.
Stone smiled and said: "As blind as a bat in the presence of light. But I can move better than a perfectly-visioned person."
Ragen nodded.
"Before we leave, I have to deal with the matters at hand first. I must save The Moor and Oscillith and I require your help."
"I would be most glad to be of help." Stone said.
"We are planning to attack the city gates and kill the leader Pyrean. The people you just saw in the tavern are my people. I can still come up with 500 more."
"How many does Pyrean have?"
"My scouts report a strength of at most 3,000 strong."
"We are out-numbered 1 to 6, Ragen. Are you going to launch an attack face on just like that? It would be suicide."
"Come, I have a better plan."